Bonding Source offers one week delivery of pre-forms available from our in-stock epoxy film and solder sheet selection. Bonding Source offers complete control of your order with our on-site laser cutting capability.
- Choose your epoxy film from the Bonding Source in-stock selection. If we do not carry your required film type, we can procure it directly from the manufacturer.
- Send us your CAD data as a dwg or dxf file via email. If you don’t have CAD data on-hand for your pre-form, your substrate vendor should have a file for the substrate or board that you can forward to Bonding Source.
- Our engineering staff will review the drawing, paying special attention to fine feature areas, tolerances, and layout to ensure the efficient use of the film sheet stock. If you need help creating a file for the epoxy pre-form, we can help create the file for you. To request a copy of Bonding Source Design Guidelines, please request here; firstname.lastname@example.org
- The pallet file is then sent to the laser and the pre-form is cut. Your file will be kept with us to facilitate future orders. We can provide first article samples before proceeding with production quantities.
- The pre-forms are then inspected on our Microvu inspection system that provides inspection data on all pre-form dimensions. Once programmed, the Microvu system automatically inspects the pre-forms to ensure they are in dimensional tolerance.
- The pre-forms are then inspected for cut quality and cleanliness
- Completed pre-forms will be shipped to you on cold packs per the manufacturer’s specifications to minimize cracking.
- Bonding Source can package and label pre-forms per your specification, and can release shipments all at once or spaced out to meet your manufacturing schedule.
About Laser Cutting
The microelectronics and RF/Microwave industry have been using laser cut epoxy pre-forms for years. The laser cut system has many advantages:
- No expensive NRE tooling cost. There is a set-up program fee, but it is typically much less expensive than a die cost.
- Speed and flexibility. There is no long lead time for a die cut tool. If there are changes needed, the CAD data is easily adjusted to accommodate required modifications.
- Economical for both short and long runs.
- Multi-up pre-forms of different shapes and sizes on individual sheets.
- Bonding Source uses a custom built 200 Watt, Dual Head Laser made exclusively for the cutting of epoxy and solder pre-forms. We have established cut profiles for over 30 different epoxy types and thicknesses. The laser processing, inspection, and material handling areas are under “sticky mat” control to minimize FOD.
- To review a copy of the White Paper on the advantages of laser cutting vs. die cutting link here
Value Added Services:
- We recommend IKE Micro for board mount assembly services. IKE has installed thousands of substrates and boards (duroid, thick film, thin film, FR4) onto carriers and housings for the defense and commercial electronics industries. IKE also offers feedthru installation on microwave housings, open package leak testing, and complete SMT, die attach, and wire bonding services. Check out www.ikemicro.com for more details.